Create a digital solution that empowers patients with diabetes (type 1, 2, gestational or other forms of diabetes) to better self-manage their daily challenges and/or its complications – 24/7/365.
Diabetes is a chronic condition that affects patients around the clock. People with diabetes see their health care professional on average 40 minutes per year, during the remaining time they have to manage their condition alone. This challenge confronts health care systems, patients and caregivers worldwide.
Digital applications assist patients and caregivers when they are alone: addressing all meaningful aspects like insulin delivery, nutrition or physical activity. Data based self-management solutions and devices shall help patients with diabetes to keep their glucose levels in range. This reduces the risk of acute complications such as hypoglycaemia and ketoacidosis, as well as long-term complications that affect all vital organs, kidneys, heart, brain, eyes, nerves and feet.
Our mentors and volunteers living with diabetes will share their health care data and diabetes-related hardware for everyone to use. If you are a patient, please feel free to bring your blood glucose meters, insulin pumps and CGM/FGM sensors as well. We encourage everyone to share these with others.
Diabetes-related medicinal products you are allowed to bring to the hackathon:
- All types of blood glucose metres
- All types of insulin pens
- All types of insulin pumps
- All types of continuous glucose monitoring systems (CGMS) and flash glucose monotoring systems (FGMS)
- Components involved in open loop and/or closed loop systems if they are open source
We highly encourage everyone to share their gadgets and data with the other participants.
Team members, mentors and volunteers with diabetes will provide and share the following systems:
- Medtronic 640G insulin pump and Enlite CGMS semi-closed loop system / Artificial Pancreas using Dexcom G5 CGMS, Medtronic Veo insulin pump, Looped iOS App and Riley Link Bluetooth Module, Bayer Contour Next Link blood glucose meter
- Free Style Libre FGMS, insulin pens
- Roche Eversense CGMS, insulin pens
- Dexcom G5 CGMS, insulin pens