Position Title: Executive Director
Position Status: Permanent, Full Time
Posting start date: 2019-04-01
End date of posting: 2019-04-19
Start date: June 3rd
Summary of position
Hacking Health is looking for an inspiring and efficient leader to take on the management of this global movement which aims to improve healthcare. Our aim is to bring the organization to the next level with its team of highly motivated staff, governors and global leaders. The position reports to the Board.
About Hacking Health
Established in 2012, Hacking Health is an NPO that matches innovators and health care experts to develop solutions to front-line health issues through the use of technology. The headquarters of Hacking Health are in Montreal, and the movement has 56 chapters established in 15 countries spread over 5 continents. Hacking Health has also more than 180 leaders and 600 volunteers around the world! In 2017, our chapters created 158 events and creative programs such as hackathons, coffee shops, workshops and conferences to foster collaboration among key players in health innovation ecosystems.
Established in 2012, Hacking Health is an NPO that matches innovators and health care experts to develop solutions to frontline health issues through the use of technology. The headquarters of Hacking Health are in Montreal, and the movement has 53 chapters established in 15 countries spread over 5 continents. Hacking Health is also more than 180 leaders and 600 volunteers around the world! In 2018, our chapters created 125 event events and creative programs such as hackathons, cafés, workshops and conferences to foster collaboration among key players in health innovation ecosystems.
Hacking Health is an unconventional, volunteer-based organization that creates impact through a highly creative, collaborative, bottom-up, community-centric approach. Our organization is now looking to achieve a new level of impact, based on its unique DNA. Is this challenge for you?
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all qualified women and men, LGBTQI2-S community persons, visible minorities persons, immigrants, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about Hacking Health: hacking-health.org
Note: the use of the masculine is only intended to lighten the text.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND CONTRIBUTION
Reporting to the board, and in close collaboration with the president, core team, chapter leaders and governors, the Executive Director will provide both general and strategic management for the organization.
- Leadership: Motivate team members, global leaders, partners and volunteers to work together and achieve amazing and unconventional results. Inspire them to feed the movement with new insights, achievements, success stories, and know how in the field of healthcare innovation.
- Development: Continuously broaden Hacking Health’s network of collaborators. Design concrete ways, – programs, activities, etc. -, that can formally engage with Hacking Health and collaborate together. Ensure Hacking Health maintains positive relationships with all key partners.
- Funding: Grow financial resources from new sponsors, donors, and other sources of pertinent revenue for Hacking Health. Develop and grow a complete philanthropic donation and funding campaign. Work with the Director of Partnerships and other stakeholders to expand Hacking Health’s network of financial supporters, and ensure the long term financial sustainability of the organization.
- General management: Ensure professional execution of all terms of agreements established with partners and sponsors. Supervise Hacking Health’s financial management. Ensure that systems, processes, roles and responsibilities are put in place to that effect and that knowledge is properly documented and shared over time. Continue developing the art of decentralized management and continuous improvement.
- Core team management: Provide direction, coaching, assistance, and supervision to Hacking Health’s staff. Expand the team as required and permitted by financial resources. Find, engage and work with volunteer contributors. Maintain a culture of impact, initiative, mutual respect.
- Strategic planning: Work with the board and the president, governors and core team to define and grow the long term vision of the organization, and to put in place and execute the tactics and plans required to achieve it.
- Thought leadership: Contribute to making HH a global reference in collaborative healthcare innovation. Ensure the movement generates thought leadership content and publications stemming from its hundreds of contributors and communities worldwide.
- Communication and representation: Be the spokesperson and lead ambassador of this movement of innovation in healthcare. Continuously grow the visibility of Hacking Health’s vision, mission, activities, leaders, contributors, and achievements. Ensure Hacking Health continuously publishes inspiring communication on social and electronic media.
- Special projects and initiatives: On occasion, launch and supervise the delivery of special projects and new programs, either with key partners or addressing priority themes, in order to bring Hacking Health to a higher level of leadership and impact.
DESIRED CANDIDATE PROFILE
Hacking Health is looking for a self-driven yet highly collaborative individual who has a track record of delivering concrete end-results and who is resourceful with limited financial means. The candidate needs strong organizational skills and must work efficiently in a context of multiple demands on his / her time.
As we are a small organization, this individual will lead by example, be a hands-on contributor to the management and administration of the organization, and will be an exemplary team player.
Given the above and Hacking Health’s unique character, the Executive Director will be expected to exhibit the majority of the following desired attributes:
- Executive and general management experience.
- Track record in philanthropic fundraising.
- Leadership and drive.
- National and global development skills.
- Social impact aspirations.Strong communication and public speaking skills.
- Full mastery of French and English. Spanish and other languages are desirable assets.
- Experience in either or ideally both the healthcare and technology sectors.
- Experience in entrepreneurial and/or NGO sectors.
- Graduate degree pertinent to the above.
- Experience with or involvement in Hacking Health activities.
- Experience in the management of international or national non-for-profit organisations.
Working location: Montreal, at the Hacking Health headquarters located at the the heart of the CHUM and of the International School of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare. International travel, as well as attendance at occasional events on evenings and weekends, is expected.
Timeline and application process
Interested candidate should email their application to email@example.com by April 19th.
Compensation and benefits benchmarks volunteer-based non-profit organizations and Montreal living costs and will be negotiated during the interview process.
With strong momentum today, Hacking Health has the potential to become a groundbreaking global beacon of collaborative healthcare innovation. This is an exciting time to join us and help realize an extraordinary vision.